Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Moose Are Moving!

Maine moose took advantage of an early spring and began their daily tours up and down the roadsides to the bogs even as the ice was melting.
Almost a month ago my daughter and I were on our way home from an errand when we saw three. The first was a mature bull, probably 2 or 3 years old. A few minutes later we spotted a pair of twin yearlings, both bulls. These sightings were between 12 - 1:15pm. Yup! Mid day. All three of these woodland wonders were sorry looking sights! Moose really look pretty mangy when they're shedding their winter coat and these guys were no exception. I was still thrilled to see them! They didn't appear to be too nervous and we managed to get several pictures. We could have watched them all day, but we moved on to let them feed in peace.
We are caught up in a variety of other activities right now that unfortunately mean little time for "moose looking". Even so, we managed a quick run to one of our favorite moose spots a couple weeks ago and saw six ! My daughter, her boys, my mom, and Leon were with me. The boys seemed impressed to see so many moose in one trip. Leon and I took time to visit a local bog last week and watched a mature bull feeding for almost half an hour.
May is my favorite month for moose looking. (Black flies are out already, by the way. At least in some areas!) We usually have higher moose counts in May. Probably no coincidence as the black flies drive them out of the woods! It's my plan to get out and about in search of moose and taking pictures as soon as possible. One of these days when you least expect it you'll discover I've caught up with myself and put some pictures on here. Keep checking, but to be on the safe side, don't hold your breath!!!

No comments: