Monday, June 26, 2006

Moose, My Maine Obsession! (Photograph)

My moose tour business evolved from a self-prescribed cure for monumental stress and X-amount of pain. In the beginning my pain was my life! I was searching for an escape from daily routine, the mountain of red tape involved in injury claims, and the frustration of waiting while the gears of bureaucracy ground at a mind numbing snail's pace. I drove north, and just kept driving. That day I ended up sitting on the edge of a boat ramp (I think it was on Upper Richardson). My fishing license in my pocket, I walked out and sat on the edge of the boat ramp, laying my fish pole down beside me, and just sat there. Hours may have passed. A friendly young couple came up in brightly colored kayaks. We talked for a few minutes and they left. The subject of moose had come up. They had seen a bull moose feeding off shore on their way out that morning. I mentioned the fact that I had seen moose almost daily as a child, and was curious why I hadn't seen many in recent years. Sitting there, alone again, it occurred to me that: (1) I wasn't "in the right place" most of the time. (There are very few moose in my living room or the doctor's waiting room, although I did see a moose planter in the town office once!) and (2) I wasn't looking! (Many moose I see now most people would drive right by without seeing them. You do see what you look for!)
So there it is in a nutshell. That seed, planted deep in my psyche, started my ongoing obsession with moose. I miss doing the moose tours. A few times this year I have made trips into or through my "moose country" and have seen only 38 moose so far, (sort of like being on a "moose free diet"... AAAAAARRRGHH!!!) LOL. Still, there is something to be said for the trip itself, whether I see moose or not, it's always worth the trip. The natural beauty, mountains, woods, storm clouds, the freshness of the air, sweet (or pungent) scents, and the quiet.
This is the therapeutic part. It's healing!

No comments: