Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Mooseland Tours - Doors Closed In Norway

Closing our store on Main Street in Norway, Maine, seemed like a monumental task to say the least strictly from a physical reality standpoint. From an emotional viewpoint, it was surreal. Even though we knew at the end of April we would be closing the doors May 30th, there were many things happening that drew my attention and before I knew it we had less than two weeks.
Initially Leon went up many days alone while I stayed home with Mom. Each night we discussed what needed to be done and the next day he would work on various projects like boxing up personal items that were left, bringing up things from the cellar, setting out unused display pieces to be sold, marking stock down, many times calling to check with me about things I hadn't thought of, or to discuss what to do next. Leon is 68 and only human. I knew he needed help bringing many things up from the cellar and the sheer quantity of things to deal with was more than he could manage alone. I called on friends Rich and Diane, and a family member, Dave, to come and help. Thanks to their aid Leon finished clearing the cellar of the larger pieces of furniture we had accumulated as well as boxes too numerous to mention!
The last two weeks I would go up with him on the weekends when Mom could stay with my sister. Other days we brought Mom with us to the store while we worked. She's a trooper. She took everything in stride, but usually after a day at the store Mom & I would stay home the next day, partially to rest and (for me) to try to deal with other details we had to tie up. There were very few crafter's items left in the store because before we closed for the winter most items were returned then, rather than letting them sit for 2 or 3 months in the shop gathering dust.
What I think I felt the worst about was the fact that our closing was affecting other people, as well as ourselves. When we were getting ready for the upcoming season and working toward that end we made arrangements with several talented people who were going to join us and help to fulfill our store's potential. We were especially happy when Norman Jackson talked with us about putting in his wonderful line of pine furniture. He had many pieces already made, but began thinking about some special details that would fit our theme. Many of the pieces had doors with panels and he suggested putting wildlife panels in some. There were many great ideas and I was looking forward to opening with great anticipation. Telling a few other crafters our plans had changed and why was something I had to do, but telling Norman we were going to close was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. He had brought several pieces in already and made one special hutch to match our colors in the main part of the store. I KNOW that if circumstances were different and we were able to open, this summer would have been a great success and that would have been due in large part to the efforts and presence of this dear person. I truly believe God sent him to help us. Norman is a genuine, caring (& talented) person who was not just concerned with displaying his furniture line and making sales. He saw the arrangement as mutually beneficial, but it was clear from the beginning he was as much concerned with helping us in any way possible, covering the store possibly when we had tours, to helping Leon move things, or with ideas, running an errand if needed and most importantly, by being very supportive, and listening in his quiet way. Norman & I talked. While I think he was disappointed with my decision , he understood what I was up against and accepted it graciously. Hopefully, if we reopen our Mooseland Tours & Gifts shop next spring he will be there, pleasant, friendly demeanor, furniture, ideas & all. Norman Jackson is a wonderful man whom Leon & I feel honored to call a friend.
We discounted stock 50%, then 75%. We put stuff out on the sidewalk "free". We sold the display pieces, Norman took his furniture on the last day. A reporter from the Lewiston Sun interviewed me and took a picture that appeared in the next day's paper. Leon's brother made countless trips with his truck. Richard came and went several times to take items too large for the van, (like our park bench with cast iron legs that is sitting in the front yard now thanks to him!) The last two days we were fortunate to have other helpers, who worked tirelessly (or seemingly so) pulling things together, sorting, packing, cleaning, and even climbing the ladder to take down our wooden sign and scraping the lettering off the windows. ~sigh ~
I'm tired and I need to take care of my health right now, among other things. But as they always say, all's well that ends well. In spite of everything, from our humble beginning to our humble closing it was "a great ride". I loved every minute of it. We met many fantastic people, had some incredible experiences, learned a lot along the way, most of it the hard way, but came away with a full heart and the sincere hope that God willing, we (sort of like General MacArthur) shall return!

No comments: